Thursday, January 29, 2009

Knit-a-long Socks

Thank you all for your kind words yesterday!  I'm still not 100%, but I'm hanging in there!  

My Tuesday night knitting group decided to do a Knit-a-long (KAL) to learn toe up sock construction.  Several in the group knew how to do this and many (me included) did not.  So will picked a pattern, we all went to our respective homes, searched our stash for the perfect yarn, and cast on Tuesday night.  There were the group learns....huddled together, talking, demonstrating, redemonstrating, consulting printed out directions with pictures.....then there was the group (using the term loosely) that each worked individually, consulting with each other at key moments, then returned to intently work alone....they weren't anti-social just focused...then there was the rebellious group....we don't want to make socks or at least not what everyone else is working on!  What group would you be in?  Me?



I was in the individual group....consulting as needed!  No judgement on any of the groups....we all learn differently...I appreciate and respect that....it was just fun to see everyone at work learning/teaching new skills!  My sock is happily progressing (I did 64 instead of 60 stitches) and so far it fits!  I love that about toe up socks...you can try them on as you go!  We'll see how the heal goes!

17 comments:

alh said...

Looks good! I haven't worked on mine at all so I guess I'm already behind!

Davene McBride said...

That looks awesome! I think I really like that approach so you know that it is going to fit. Looking forward to seeing it completed! Hope you're feeling better too! Love you, Mom

Bean Counting Knitter said...

nice... is that the shoots and ladder sock pattern?

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

Ohh, that looks so pretty!

Tracy Batchelder said...

I think I'm a knit-alone kind of person. I usually do my own thing, so I might have been in the rebellious group.

Aunt Kathy said...

I need someone watching me to mke sure I had it right, after that I'd probab;y work on my own unless someone needed help and I knew how to help.

SimplyMe said...

I would so be in the individual group wishing I were in the rebellious one!

BTW - your socks are looking great. Love the colorway too.

Daisy said...

I love the pattern - and i know what you mean about toe-up socks! i've always had trouble getting a heel to fit me with those though!

Robin said...

The pattern looks fun and pretty! (I wouldn't have gotten much knitting done in the huddled together group! Sounds confusing in there!)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hope you're up for a tutorial when you get finished--I've wondered if they're "easier" than cuff down. Haven't been confident enough to try them on my own.

Marti said...

I would be the rebel! I am not good at socks. I agree with Trudy a tutorial would be great. I am considering a toe up sock.

Amber said...

Love the color pattern of this yarn, Leah.. this approach makes more sense to me. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. :(

Bea said...

Cute!

Ally Jay said...

Socks still challenge my ability to stay focussed long enough to complete two. Love the colours you've used.

peaknits said...

The sock looks fabulous! I would be in your group - work along, get together for questions.

Lovs2Knit said...

Glad to here you're starting to get better. I work better individually then in a group so I would have done the same thing you did. :)

KSee said...

I've been told that toe-up is easier because the heel is different. Sure like your choice of yarn. You sure can knock those socks out.