Friday, June 27, 2008

Yarn!

Thank you all for the lovely comments on the swallowtail shawl.  I mentioned that it might be screaming to go "live" with someone else.  Well last night I talked with my mom about the shawl:

Leah: Have you seen the finished shawl?
Mom:  Yes
L: Well I was kinda thinking it was screaming you.  Have you seen it blocked?
M: no, but you should keep some things for yourself! 
(mom gets on computer)
M: OH!!!!  That definitely screams me!  How did you ever doubt that?  We could "share" it.  (ie-I use it and when I die you could inherit it)
M: (laugh)

I proceeded to tell her we would see.  I might wear it a couple of times and see what I think.  I also think I have some cream lace yarn in my stash and I could make one for myself.  The cream would be a better color for me (and I would make it a little bigger by doing 5 extra repeats of the budding lace part).  Plus gray is my mom's color!  

I picked up some new yarn at Discontinued Brand Name Yarn and it came!  Here are some pics:

Cherry tree Hill Supersock in Island Red.  (a nice red that isn't too bright, nice and subdued)

Cherry tree Hill Supersock in Dove (almost grey, but has some green tones in it too...a hard color to describe, but very nice)

Cherry tree Hill Supersock DK in a purple blend (so I love this color and this was the reason I really placed the order, but I didn't notice the DK, so it is a little thicker than I thought, but I saw on Ravelry that many people have made lovely socks out of this yarn)

Louet Gems fingering weight (this yarn is to dye myself...I think I'm going to use Koolaid....I used this base for my May socks and really liked it, so this should be a fun project!)

5 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

Sounds like your mom's getting a beautiful shawl. Nice yarn order.

Lovs2Knit said...

Sounds to me like you have the perfect excuse to cast on a new shawl. :)
Great yarns! I've ordered from DBNY. They have some really great deals.

Anonymous said...

That'll be fun to do the dying. I did koolaid once and everything smelled like it forever!

Amber said...

I'd suggest maybe you use Rit dye. It's cheap (~$3) and stays well. We used it to dye jeans for horse shows. I can't wait to take you to the Taos yarn shop. They make all their own dyes and dye all their own wool. There's a bit in NM to choose from: http://www.woolworks.org/stores/nm.html

Anonymous said...

oooh, don't you love getting new yarn!! I'm jealous :)